Many believe that social media algorithms have caused more harm than good. What if the software engineers building these algorithms had a framework for ethical decision-making? Could such a framework create more equitable algorithms?
In addition to detailing his framework, Nicholas will share insights on how engineering teams can adapt its principles to the code they write.
Nicholas will also cover:
- What software engineers could be building now if they want to support a just and equitable world
- Common moral choices that developers face when they’re building tools used by millions or billions of people
- The moral hazards that can surface during software development
- Whether we can build tools that make our economic system more democratic
Agenda (all times in IST)
- 11:00: Introduction from our host, Raman Frey
- 11:05: Prepared talk that details the new framework
- 11:30: Q&A hosted by Raman Frey
- 12:00: Video-based breakout room